Random Thoughts
Three books by different authors have captured my fleeting mind ...
I have given up on not being attracted to three conversations simultaneously, but anyways, who am I kidding,, I need to focus ..
The first book is y B Russel, the famous History of Western Philosophy. I find whoever this (A Grayling) is, he produced a comprehensive and in-depth look at both the book and its author. His use of language and grammar is really impressive, I should google him one day soon.
Another book is by Terry Eagleton, on Literary Theory, and his take on the topic is fascinating so far. I have attended one literature lecture in my life, and it was one of the best experiences ever. But that is another story for another day. He had an interesting sentence at the start of his preface that hooked me to continue reading on " It is encouraging, anyway, that in a postmodern age in which meaning, like everything else, is expected to be instantly consumable, there are those who have found the labour of acquiring new ways of speaking of literature to be worthwhile". His reflection resonates with a sentiment I had for a long time. In one of my early discussions with my old friend Tracy, I accused her blindly of the uneconomic use of high vocabulary to express her ideas, and that using higher language makes gives the conversation a complicated aura that does not add any significant value to it ... if anything, it turns me off and my mind is often slowed down trying to decipher the meaning of new ancient vocabulary that I have only seen in a GRE preparation guide.. Now I realize that, although there is some truth to my accusation, there is truth to the sentence above. Complexity of meaning and the complex expression of ideas need not be confused with esotericism. It is MY job to rise up with my mind and level of processing to get there to meet the ideas as they are.. not to dull their sharpness to meet my lazy ass down there.
Okay .. enough crazy ... back to work.
Oh ... the third book is talas to a great extent ... I have yet to read a self-help book cover to cover, but I really was aspiring to do this one justice. Anyways, my biggest turn-offs is that the author keeps referring to God and the Lord and creator as the "subject" who bestowed upon us humanity our most magnificent thinking machine ... Okay, I am being unfair here ... The book is Psycho Cybernetics b Maxwell Maltz ... and I really will read it as soon as I muster the courage, the patience and the time, may Amon Ra be with me :)
I have given up on not being attracted to three conversations simultaneously, but anyways, who am I kidding,, I need to focus ..
The first book is y B Russel, the famous History of Western Philosophy. I find whoever this (A Grayling) is, he produced a comprehensive and in-depth look at both the book and its author. His use of language and grammar is really impressive, I should google him one day soon.
Another book is by Terry Eagleton, on Literary Theory, and his take on the topic is fascinating so far. I have attended one literature lecture in my life, and it was one of the best experiences ever. But that is another story for another day. He had an interesting sentence at the start of his preface that hooked me to continue reading on " It is encouraging, anyway, that in a postmodern age in which meaning, like everything else, is expected to be instantly consumable, there are those who have found the labour of acquiring new ways of speaking of literature to be worthwhile". His reflection resonates with a sentiment I had for a long time. In one of my early discussions with my old friend Tracy, I accused her blindly of the uneconomic use of high vocabulary to express her ideas, and that using higher language makes gives the conversation a complicated aura that does not add any significant value to it ... if anything, it turns me off and my mind is often slowed down trying to decipher the meaning of new ancient vocabulary that I have only seen in a GRE preparation guide.. Now I realize that, although there is some truth to my accusation, there is truth to the sentence above. Complexity of meaning and the complex expression of ideas need not be confused with esotericism. It is MY job to rise up with my mind and level of processing to get there to meet the ideas as they are.. not to dull their sharpness to meet my lazy ass down there.
Okay .. enough crazy ... back to work.
Oh ... the third book is talas to a great extent ... I have yet to read a self-help book cover to cover, but I really was aspiring to do this one justice. Anyways, my biggest turn-offs is that the author keeps referring to God and the Lord and creator as the "subject" who bestowed upon us humanity our most magnificent thinking machine ... Okay, I am being unfair here ... The book is Psycho Cybernetics b Maxwell Maltz ... and I really will read it as soon as I muster the courage, the patience and the time, may Amon Ra be with me :)
Comments
Post a Comment