The solution is to fall in love with what I do

I have been doing this all wrong ...
It is boring as hell to sit down, and read about things that I know, and realities that I have experienced firsthand, then for all of these personal activities to become static words on a paper.. not human actions or interactions anymore, not movement or emotion attached to them ... 

This is similar to the scenario for what mother nature must feel like when it practices rock forming ... eons of complex interplay between water, fair weather and storms, glacial and interglacial periods, waves of activity from living entities and sponge colonies, impact cratering events, volcanic activity encompassing wide areas of the planet, the planet motion itself and how solar insolation adds external dynamics ... tectonics ... subsidence and uplift depending on the elasticity of the crust ... climate change ... sea level rise and fall be it relative or global ... and after all of these wonders ... simply  ... billions of years later ... a geologist comes along and jots down on his notes that some sediments were deposited in ancient times.. some post depositional activities took place ... experienced erosion on the edge of a cliff ... no life no sound no action ... and we call it Geology ...
For someone like me ... this is painful ...

Now, I think I understand a few things ... One, for the first impression, this reflects something that seems to be intellectually boring .... Two, unlike other kinds of knowledge, delving into the unknown details of anything, means that you will go through a learning curve ... the learning curve is one that I am still in the process of building ... it is boring ... I know a few things everyday, but the big picture is still so empty ...
I find that to be very frustrating ... too many gaps coupled with inexperience hurts like crazy...
The burning questions in geology always involve trying to go back through time to reconstruct history ...
The learning process starts with figuring out which parts are complete and which are absent (talk about MaGiC!)...
This will be followed by learning the basins about the rock cycle, rock-forming minerals, plate tectonics, sedimentology and stratigraphy, then a bit of understanding on basin formation and evolution ....
Then, the fun part begins ... that is the stage of collecting and (figuring out) which sources of data can you use to figure out the answer

This is normal ... and boring is normal at this stage ... My only way to conquer this stage and go into the better happier one is to actually write ... write all the b.s. and crap I could muster ... read and reread all the stupid papers that I can get my hands on ... and eventually, it will feel more natural to do this ... I will fall in love with my work .. and it will cease to be boring and monotone... It will make sense ... It will start to have meaning ... will develop shape and coherency ... and it will be beautiful tale of Gaya ,,, and I won't even stress myself about thinking of defending it ... it will just be so much fun doing this everyday ...

People look at the end goal more often than looking at the process itself ... they sum up the entire journey in one event ... they fall in love and only see the wedding ... they think of exercising and only see the loss of weight ... they have children and start planning their education, job prospects and grandchildren....
It is not a single event, and I see to forget that ...
I am not interested in gowns or graduation ceremonies ... I never was and never will..
I am interested in starting a new phase of life ... have a career, travel, read my book list, try new hobbies and new things ...

However, to achieve my goals, I need to commit to the process and love it ... It was my daily grind during my masters that makes me think fondly about it ... the samples, equipment, coffees, late nights, arguments with Alan, and travels to conferences ... I enjoyed the degree immensely because of those things ... the tears at night, the frustration and the boredom with writing that I embraced at some point ...
This is the focus that I need ... the process ... the bloody tearful boring repetitive process ... that I need to fall in love with..

To be a great writer ... to write a great thesis that I won't cringe each time I glimpse from the distant bookshelf staring at me from across the room ... I need to love writing ..
I have to love the identity of the doer of anything that I want to accomplish ...
I will start with this thesis ...

Comments

Popular Posts